If you have plans to go to Australia for either undergraduate or postgraduate study, the first thing you need is an action plan. Here is an application timeline to give you an idea about what to do in which month for the July intake.
1. First Steps: October 2018 to December 2018
- Start early and by November, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- Begin by downloading admissions brochures from the university websites. Most brochures are out more than a year earlier.
- By December, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options.
2. Crack the Exams: January 2019 to April 2019
- Prepare for required standardized tests like GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS - depending on the course and university.
- By January or two months before the test date.
- Register for TOEFL/IELTS at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around March or April. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
3. It’s Application Time: April 2019 to May 2019
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline.
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline!
4. What Next: June 2019
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- You will receive your acceptance letter called COE (Confirmation of Enrolment). You may receive CoE in either May or June, depending on the institute. You can apply for a student visa only after receiving CoE.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
5. Visa and Money Matters: Mid June 2019 to Early July 2019
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for a student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa.
- Apply for a student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
- Arrange for Overseas Student Health Cover.
6. Get Ready to Fly: Late June 2019 to July 2019
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an Internation Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out Pre-departure checklist.